An estimator is responsible for seeking out new projects, successfully estimating and bidding new projects, and successfully managing projects through closeout. This position will be part of a high performing team atmosphere and will require the ability to change from task to task quite rapidly at times. Success in this position will be measured by bid accuracy and award rate, project completion and profitability, and alignment with our company goals.
Conduct quantity takeoffs for all trades and review project plans/specifications to gain a complete understanding of the projects scope.
Understand the scope of project, its requirements, and unique bid conditions.
Communicate concerning any issues with project specifications, project scope, value engineering possibilities, timelines or other items pertaining to the estimate.
Gather information, conduct research, and obtain quotes/offers.
Prepare estimates, cost, and risk analysis, prior to the commencement, and status updates throughout, the duration of the project, and exit analysis at the end of the project.
Oversee pricing discrepancies, resolve issues, and resource cost efficiency procedures.
Establish & Maintain working relationships with vendors and subcontractors.
Proficiently read and interpret blueprints and technical documents to prepare estimates.
Conduct research to obtain data on labor costs, materials, production times, etc.
Promote construction best practices and product innovation.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work experience, preferably in the field of Construction Management.
- Two to five years’ experience in project management is desirable.
- The position will require proficiency in Microsoft Office products and preferred experience with Agtek takeoff software.
- Good communications skills and ability to work with other people, a self-starter
- Requires strong computer skills, familiarity with scheduling, estimating software and MS Office.
- Must have the ability to deal with deadlines and create several estimates simultaneously.
- Engage in value engineering and cost management.
- Read and understand blueprints, sketches, and construction schedules